Easternmost was a family home until autumn 2010, when it was redecorated and refurbished. A few key changes were made to make it more environmentally friendly:
- a wood burning /multifuel stove was added to supplement the electric-only heating
- a Solartwin solar panel was installed in May 2011 to supplement the hot water heating
- a dishwasher with a time delay for using the nighttime electricity and a more efficient new cooker were installed
- where new lighting was required, LED lights were used and long-life bulbs put in most other light fittings
As much as possible of the original furniture and fittings were kept - as well as avoiding unecessary purchase and disposal, this makes for a particularly homely cottage that doesn't look the same as most self catering accommodation. This also means that some of the furniture and equipment is particularly good quality. Where new furniture and fittings were required, these were purchased mainly from reuse sources and with evnironmentally friendly materials. Some of the lights and electrical equipment in the cottage came from Canada, so there's a transformer for the hi-fi music player and some of the lights have unusual switches - instructions on how to use and care for them are in the Cottage Notes, or you can call the owner or changeover people who will all be happy to help.What you can do to help
- recycle as much of your waste as possible - bins for plastics, cans, paper and cardboard and for compost are provided in the kitchen and the garden. A poster explaining what goes where and when is on the noticeboard in the kitchen. Glass recycling bins are to be found in the village.
- think about whether you need to turn on additional electric heating - try warmer clothing, lighting the wood-burning stove or having a cuddle !
- walk or cycle to the village instead of driving - cycle hire and local scenic walk details are on the Activities page and in the Cottage Notes
- travel to Easternmost on public transport - details on the 'How to find us' page and get a Discount - see Calendar page